What to write for the IELTS Writing Task Two
Knowing what to write is a common concern for students when preparing for the IELTS Writing Task Two essay. Here you will find some possible answers for the IELTS question below. Use one of these reasons or come up with your own. All of these questions and topics are similar to questions that have appeared on the exam in the past. Click here for other questions.
IELTS Writing Task Two Question 4:
Nowadays fashion is becoming more and more important to young people. Some people think this has negative impacts on young people and on society. To what extent do you agree or disagree?
Chose two reasons below or come up with your own
Possible Reason- Fashion gives consumers/people an identity
- Fashion advertisements portray people in a certain way
- Positive traits are associated with certain products
- This can impair people’s ability to form their own identity
- Young people are especially impressionable and can be pressured to conforming to certain norms
- Emphasizes importance of materialism and trendy clothes, products, and brands
Possible Reason- Fashion can create a negative body image
- Advertisements use slim models, perpetuating an unhealthy body image
- Insinuates that being slim makes you beautiful and anything else is less beautiful
- Can make impressionable young people feel insecure and negative
- Can cause low self esteem
Possible Reason- Fashion trends hurt the environment
- Because fashion trends change so often this can lead to clothes being frequently thrown out.
- This increases landfill waste and shrinks habitats
- Fashion trends are sometimes made from animals and this can lead to over hunting
- This can lead to animal cruelty
Possible Reason – Fashion can help young people form their identity
- Provides exposure to different types of clothes and styles reflecting different personalities.
- Clothing can reflect their own ideas and personalities, allowing them to better express themselves
- May enhance self esteem
Possible Reason – Fashion can help the economy
- Stimulates consumer demand
- Creates job vacancies that can hire young people and others
- Increases a companies revenue and country’s gross domestic product
- This can contribute to economic development